I've followed this blog for many years and I desperately need help. I recently had to take 1 year off from residency due to medical issues. My daughter and I are both doing well now and it's time for me to go back. Despite many challenges, this year has been a wonderful experience bonding with her. When I return to residency she will have turned 1 year old and I will be transferring to another program. The problem is I don't know where to live and I hate to uproot my family. If we stay where we are now my husband will be 15 minutes from work and my daughter will get to maintain her relationship with our part time evening nanny whom she absolutely adores (she helps me now about 3-6 hours/week). Additionally, my mother in law loves the area we live in now and would probably stay with us for maybe 6 months if we stay. The only problem is that my commute would be about 1-1.5 hours driving or via public transportation. I've been away from medicine for over a year and I want to succeed when I go back, I'm not sure if commuting is such a great idea. And I've never been away from her for more than a few hours, seeing her for a few hours each night after a long commute is going to be a huge change for both of us.
If I put myself first and move the family closer to my new program I will have a 25-30 minute commute, my husband will have a 45 mile reverse commute against traffic (50 min-1hour). But mother in law help in this scenario would be unlikely for any extended period of time. We would put my daughter in daycare sooner rather than later. There would also be no nanny help at night (my daughter loves her and she is not an easy baby!) because the nanny doesn't drive.
I only have 2 years of derm residency remaining but I have so much at stake since I will be starting a brand new program after being away for a year. I really want to put myself first and move closer to the new program so that I can give myself the best chance at success but I don't want to uproot the entire family. I feel so guilty because we have moved so many times in the past. On the other hand I don't know if commuting from where we currently live to my new program will be the best choice for my career/performance. My husband is supportive of whichever route I choose but I've been agonizing over this decision and am no closer to a solution. I keep myself up at night weighing all the options until I feel sick which I know isn't healthy. Please help me!!!