I am jealous, jealous, jealous. Green with envy. Coveting my neighbor's stay-at-home-dad of a husband.
When we were engaged, Husband told me he would stay home when the children came. Then Son came, and Husband backed out of the deal, claiming his ego couldn't handle it. I, and everyone who knows Husband, agrees he would be the best stay-at-home dad ever (no intended disrespect to Mr. RH+). He loves to cook, he loves to engage Son with learning experiences, he loves to plan little outings with him, he prides himself on countering my general messiness with some order in the home.
When we discuss this, and we often do, he tells me that since Son is enrolled in preschool, he doesn't see the use of staying home. Au contraire, mon fraire. Here are my arguments:
- You do all the shopping anyway.
- You keep the house running anyway.
- You are Son's primary parent.
- We hope to soon add a second child.
- Even though Son goes to school, the chaos of his before and after school life when you travel is bad for him.
- We can easily adapt to having one salary.
- You will keep the church, which is your true vocation.
- How about stay-at-home doctoral candidate? Does that sound better for your ego?
- I can't go on like this.
- I'm slowly going insane.
I'm fairly sure he doesn't read this blog. But just in case, could y'all leave some encouragement for him in the comment section? Pretty please?
Yep, I'm selfish. I know, I know.